turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bevxwong

I moved to Maryland from California on January 2017 but intend to move back to California summer 2018, what do I put for the "Tell us the state(s) you lived in" section?

I was born in California and have lived there basically my entire life. I have worked in California. I moved to Maryland with my boyfriend (he is military, we are not married) in January 2017 and am working in Maryland. We are planning to move back to California in summer of 2018. I therefore have state residency in California.

I am confused as to what to put for the "Tell us what state(s) you lived in" section. 

I put California for "State of Residence (on December 31st, 2017)". 

It is followed by "I lived in another state in 2017" and I clicked Yes.

It says "Previous state of residence (where you lived before moving)", so I put California but now it's thinking I moved TO California. Because it also asks me what date I became a resident of California so I put my birth date but it says it has to be after January 1st, 2017..

So should I have clicked No when it says "I lived in another state in 2017"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

I moved to Maryland from California on January 2017 but intend to move back to California summer 2018, what do I put for the "Tell us the state(s) you lived in" section?

Since you spent more than half the year in Maryland (MD) and you lived in MD on December 31, 2017, you will put MD as your state of residence for 2017.

You will then say "yes" to living in another state.

Put the previous state as CA (since that was the state you lived in during the beginning of 2017 before you moved to MD.

Then put the exact date you started living in MD in January of 2017 (see screenshot - I used 1/30/2017 as an example).

If you had income is both states, you may need to file state income taxes in both states.

You will want to start on your 2017 resident state first (MD) then work on your 2017 nonresident state (CA).

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see entire answer" to view the entire attachment):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies