Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

irishbymarriage

I moved from RI to FL July 2016. Earned income only in FL. Why is TT telling me to file a RI Return?

I know RI says to file Part Year Resident for the return, but I didn't earn anything in RI. Why must I file a RI Return?

DanielV01

You are correct.  You are not requried to file a Rhode Island return, because you did not earn income while you were a Rhode Island resident.  Since this is the case, delete the state.  This is how you may do so:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

If for some reason it does not let you delete the state you can choose to not file it with TurboTax.  Either way, you will not be charged for the state return you do not need to file.

DanielV01

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~