turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

leron25

I moved from GA to SC in August where I work. However, my permanent address, drivers license and state tag are still registered for GA does that still make me a resident of GA and how do I file this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

I moved from GA to SC in August where I work. However, my permanent address, drivers license and state tag are still registered for GA does that still make me a resident of GA and how do I file this?

Not necessarily. (Although if this is a permanent move, you will want to change your driver's license and state tags to your new state as soon as possible)

If you moved to SC for a temporary work assignment, then you would file a GA resident return and a SC nonresident return. You would get a state tax credit for SC taxes paid on your nonresident tax return on your GA state tax return because you would have to report all income (including SC source income) on your GA resident state income tax return.

However, if you moved from GA to SC with the intention of making SC your new state of residence, then you would file part year returns for both GA and SC and report income for sources both inside and outside the state for the portion of the year you were a part year resident in each state. If you rent a home or apartment in SC, that could be considered as part of your intention to permanently move to SC.

Check below for more information about filing a part-year state tax return (Please select "see entire answer" to see full answer)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302008

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies