turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jndurr225

I married in 2018. We live in TX. MFJ. Wife lived in NJ first part of the year. Already filed federal return. Just need to file state return for her income Need help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BethS
Intuit Alumni

I married in 2018. We live in TX. MFJ. Wife lived in NJ first part of the year. Already filed federal return. Just need to file state return for her income Need help

FAQ on filing a part-year state return:

If you were a resident of two different states during the tax year (for example, if you moved from one state to another), you'll normally file part-year returns in both states, assuming each state collects income tax and you had income in each state.

TurboTax handles part-year returns, but you need to make sure you've set up your personal information correctly for us to do so. We'll ask about where you lived in 2018 when you set up your personal information.

If you need to add this information after you've begun your return:

1. Go into Turbo Tax and select My Info.
  2. Personal info summary screen will pop up.
  3. Select Edit next to the top section with your name, Social Security Number, birthdate, occupation, and resident state.
  4. Question number 2 asks you the state(s) you lived in during 2018. Select your state of residence from a drop-down menu.
  5. You'll also be asked if you lived in another state in 2018. Answer Yes and a new section will appear asking for your previous state of residence. Select the other state you lived in.
  6. Fill out the date of when you moved to your current state.
  7. If the rest of your information is accurate, select the blue Continue button in the lower-right corner of the screen.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to State Taxes, where you'll see your part-year states listed. We suggest you prepare the return for your former state, followed by the return for the state you currently live in.

Important: If you also see a nonresident state return on the State Taxes tab, complete that return before you work on your part-year return(s) to ensure your tax credits are calculated correctly.

jndurr225

Thank you.  But we have already filed a 2018 federal return as MFJ.  I just need to fill out a partial year state return for her W-2 income received while she was in NJ.  How do I go about doing that?
BethS
Intuit Alumni

Assuming you filed using TurboTax Online, you can log back into your account, and on the left side of the screen (in the left navigation bar) you will be able to scroll down until you see the menu item that calls out Federal Return.  There should be a option to add a state return.  Click here to proceed.
sdgdc1

Interesting... Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies