turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I maintain NC residency but work in DC. I am filing DC non-resident, do I report the tax on my wages to NC? I have to file NC taxes to maintain residency.

I maintain my permanent residency as NC. However NC is fine and dandy with you living out of state so long as you pay them taxes. My employer will only take out taxes for the states in which it operates (DC, MD, VA) so I was instructed to have DC taxes taken out during the year and then file for DC-non resident, in order to recoup my money and pay my state of residency their due tax. My question is when filing do I note that another state has already taxed my wages or is that null and void because I'm going to file DC-non resident? I just want to make sure that I am paying the proper amount of taxes to NC.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

I maintain NC residency but work in DC. I am filing DC non-resident, do I report the tax on my wages to NC? I have to file NC taxes to maintain residency.

DC doesn't tax nonresidents. File DC Form D-40B, Nonresident Request for Refund if DC taxes were withheld in error.

However, if you maintained a place of residence in DC for 183 days or more during the year then you became a DC resident for tax purposes for at least that much of the year and need to file a resident or part-year resident Form 40.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

DC doesn't tax nonresidents. File DC Form D-40B, Nonresident Request for Refund if DC taxes were withheld in error.

However, if you maintained a place of residence in DC for 183 days or more during the year then you became a DC resident for tax purposes for at least that much of the year and need to file a resident or part-year resident Form 40.

AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You are on the right track.  Filing a non-resident return for DC may or may not result in you owing some tax as a non-resident.  If there is no tax owed to DC, then there just won’t be a credit for taxes paid in another state.  Either way, you should include it as part of the NC return in the event that any of the income is taxed by the non-resident return.

Be sure to complete your non-resident DC return before the resident NC return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies