Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm working on my state taxes. I'm employed in MO but for most of 2020 I worked from home in KS due to COVID. Is this considered Remote Work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I'm working on my state taxes. I'm employed in MO but for most of 2020 I worked from home in KS due to COVID. Is this considered Remote Work?

Yes, it would be considered "Remote Work". Technically, you would be responsible for KS income tax for the period of time you physically worked in KS.

Did your employer withhold MO or KS state tax from your paycheck?  Before COVID, did you file a MO non-resident tax return, pay MO tax on your earnings there and then file a KS resident return claiming credit for the tax paid to MO? 

Normally, this is what you would have done: You would file as non-resident for MO (for your MO source income only). You would also file a KS resident state tax return (for all income from all sources including MO). You would get a state tax credit in KS for the MO state taxes you paid on your nonresident MO state tax return.

The only difference with remote work, is that you would have less MO income to report (and pay MO tax on), Your remote income would be taxed only by KS.

sunprairie630
Returning Member

I'm in the same situation. I couldn't get the "help" to post my questions yesterday.  See this resource- which seems to imply you potentially could go either way in 2020 in KS and MO but in 2021 must report remote income from the state your are telecommuting from:

https://www.hodgsonruss.com/assets/htmldocuments/Telecommuting_5.22.20.pdf

I am NOT a tax pro.  The guidance on this is poor- probably because 50 states all have their own approaches (or non-approaches). When I apportioned my time by work location I got a penalty from KS for underpayment.  So much for the statement about waiving penalties in the KS guidance!!  Unless the software isn't up-to-date for this?  Messy!!  

If a tax expert sees this- in my case MO employer chose to continue to take out MO tax for entire year- citing the MO guidance. 

TomD8
Level 15

Missouri does not tax non-resident remote workers who work from outside the state.

Missouri Statute Section 143.181 (2)(2) states that the Missouri-source income of a non-resident is income from  "a business, trade, profession, or occupation carried on in this state."

https://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2011/titlex/chapter143/section143181/

Therefore the income of a KS resident working remotely in KS for a MO employer is not taxable by MO.  Conversely, the income earned by a MO non-resident from work actually performed in MO is entirely taxable by MO.

A MO non-resident who works both within and without MO during the tax year would apportion his income accordingly.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
sunprairie630
Returning Member

Typically I am a KS resident who works in MO and whose usual work location is MO- and have always done both state returns with the bulk of taxes due to MO.  My question is related to the COVID situation and being remote at home is Kansas JUST due to that in 2020.  Company guidance is:

The Missouri Department of Revenue recently issued emergency rules regarding how certain employers were withholding income tax for employees who were working at a temporary location during the pandemic.  The rules provide that employers who withheld income tax based upon an employee’s primary work location during the relief period (March 13, 2020 – December 31, 2020) are in compliance with their rules and regulations, if elected.  Commerce will be making this election.  As an employee whose primary work location (Missouri) may have been different than your temporary work location (Kansas) during 2020, this relief impacts you.   Your 2020 Form W-2 will reflect your withholding based upon your primary work location (similar to prior years).  Please consult your tax advisor for implications to your individual filing requirements related to these emergency rule.  A copy of the emergency rule is attached.

Kansas says for "what state gets to tax the income of a telecommuter?"

State from where employee is telecommuting (i.e., employee’s home state) or employee’s 
regular place of work (i.e., the employer’s home state) for period of March 13, 2020 to December 31, 2020
As of January 1, 2021, state from where employee is telecommuting (i.e., employee’s
home state)

To me this sounds like my employer guidance and Kansas are saying that for 2020 I can follow usual approach- and act as though all work was in Missouri.  Is this problematic?

I worked it both ways- reporting as all MO income or apportioning 80% KS income and 20% MO. The last method was glitchy and led to that KS underpayment penalty. This is the first time I've used software instead of a tax pro and I guess I didn't pick a good year to make the change!

TomD8
Level 15

@sunprairie630 -

I think your interpretation is correct.

If MO's Covid regulation is that 100% of your work (including that done remotely) is still sourced to MO, then you must report all that income on your non-resident MO return.

As usual, you'll be able to claim a credit on your KS return for the taxes paid to MO, so you won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
ksgal

I'm also working on my state taxes and can't figure out if I even have to file a non-resident return.  I work 100% remote in KS for a MO-based company so my income isn't taxable in Missouri.  Do I need to file anything in Missouri?  All of my state withholding was paid to KS.  

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

No - You do not have to file a MO return at all.  According to the MO Department of Revenue website, Remote Work Resources:

My residency is outside of Missouri. I am performing "remote work" for my Missouri-based employer. Am I obligated to withhold Missouri tax from my wages?

No. If a non-resident employee performs all of his or her services outside of Missouri, the wages paid to that employee are not subject to Missouri taxes.

For additional information, refer to the withholding tax frequently asked questions web page.

@ksgal

Jamie6024

Same here - I have an extra $300 penalty

Jamie6024

Not sure how you would get refunded taxes you paid in MO then

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If you didn't live or work in MO, You need to file non-resident MO return enter 0 on the screen that asks for the amount of income earned in that state. This will eliminate your tax liability for that state, resulting in a full refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Buschog

Does it matter that even though my physical body is in Kansas, I remote into a physical computer in Missouri to do 100% of my work?

TomD8
Level 15

@Buschog --

If you're a resident of KS and you never physically work in MO, then your income from that work is not subject to MO income tax.  It is taxable only by your home state of KS.

If MO taxes were mistakenly withheld from your pay, follow @MayaD 's instructions above in order to obtain a refund.

viking10

I am a remote employee that lived in MO for the first six weeks of 2023. I moved to TN and continued my remote work for the same employer based in MO for the remainder of 2023.  My employer continued to withhold MO taxes until May of 2023 when they switched to TN (no state taxes).  

Can I claim nonresident for MO and get a refund on the MO taxes paid from February - May?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file a Missouri Non-Resident tax return and receive a refund of the tax you paid while living in Tennessee.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies