turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

z11

I am a California resident but I started working in Ohio since November 2016. Wouldn't I still be a CA resident if I return before 6months? Will this affect my EITC

Will this Effect EITC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I am a California resident but I started working in Ohio since November 2016. Wouldn't I still be a CA resident if I return before 6months? Will this affect my EITC

You are entitled to the CA state EITC if you resided in CA for more than half the year. So you qualify for 2016.

If your OH job is temporary and you intend to return to CA, you should file a full year CA return and file a non-resident OH return. Temporary for tax purposes is defined as expected to last less than 1 year and actually does last less than 1 year.

Reference: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/net/900.shtml

View solution in original post

3 Replies
z11

I lived in CA until Nov. 25th 2016

That means you file as  Part Year resident for both CA and OH. Does not affect Federal EITC ...
Hal_Al
Level 15

You are entitled to the CA state EITC if you resided in CA for more than half the year. So you qualify for 2016.

If your OH job is temporary and you intend to return to CA, you should file a full year CA return and file a non-resident OH return. Temporary for tax purposes is defined as expected to last less than 1 year and actually does last less than 1 year.

Reference: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/net/900.shtml

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies