turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Texarkana, TX. Can I claim Texas and Arkansas sales tax since we made purchases in both states? TX sales tax is 8.25%. AR is 10.25%

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I live in Texarkana, TX. Can I claim Texas and Arkansas sales tax since we made purchases in both states? TX sales tax is 8.25%. AR is 10.25%

Yes, if you have your receipts to prove the total amount of sales taxes you actually paid you can claim the total sales tax paid to both states.  

You will not be able to take the general sales tax deduction if you chose to use the actual receipt method. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I didn't save all of them, is it better to take the general sales tax deduction for the state I live in?

Without knowing exactly what receipts you did save and the amount of your general sales tax deduction I can't say for sure, but probably especially if you didn't make any large purchases or are missing a large number of receipts.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies