Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ouisch66

I live in Ohio but work in Kentucky. I've already paid for my turbotax but can't file because there's no way to attack a 740NPR to my return. Anyone know what to do?

How do I get over this glitch? I've been trying for weeks hoping turbotax will fix it but it's the same every time. It won't let me file, won't let me delete everything and start over again. Paid for the services already but am STUCK.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I live in Ohio but work in Kentucky. I've already paid for my turbotax but can't file because there's no way to attack a 740NPR to my return. Anyone know what to do?

You would only file a KY state tax return if KY state tax (box17 of your W-2) was mistakenly withheld*.

In the personal info section, when it asks if you made money in another state, answer NO, per the reciprocal state instructions, on that page. This will prevent TurboTax from thinking you need to file a KY return.

Ask TT for a refund of the fee you paid.** 

The 740NPR is not an attachment. It is a stand alone form. You do not file a standard KY tax return. 

KY has a specific form (740 NP-R ) for a reciprocal state refund. Rather than paying TurboTax for KY software, you should try filing that form by hand. It looks pretty  simple.

https://revenue.ky.gov/Forms/740-NP-R.020521.pdf

*The reciprocity agreement does not apply to local city/county taxes (box 19 of your W-2).  You can not get those refunded, but if you live in an Ohio city with a tax, they may give you a credit or partial credit. Many do.  You need to check with your city.

**Request for refunds should be directed  to TT Support. https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/  use the term “billing issues” in the question box, not "Refund" or it will just give you the IRS phone number to check your refund status. Week days 5 AM - 5 PM Pacific time

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies