Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in illinois. i worked in michigan. the employer withheld michigan state taxes. how do i file?

in turbotax, do i check the box that i worked in "other states"and then select Michigan?

do I file a Michigan return and Illinois return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in illinois. i worked in michigan. the employer withheld michigan state taxes. how do i file?

Well since you only need to file an IL return since those states have a reciprocal agreement  but you didn't file a form MI-W4 with the employer and MI taxes were withheld in error you must also file an MI return as well.  

Step 1 ... fix the MI-W4 error for 2018

Step 2 ... say yes to you worked in another state

Step 3 ... in the state return sections you MUST complete the non resident MI return FIRST to get back all the the taxes they withheld in error

Step 4 ... complete the IL resident return where you will owe taxes 

Step 5 ... file the federal & both state returns asap

Step 6 ... pay the IL balance due by 4/17/18 (hopefully the MI refund will be there in time) or at least pay some of it ... then the state will bill you for the rest later.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

View solution in original post

5 Replies

my son attended school in Michigan, worked part time in Michigan and resides in Illinois, however, he gave the employer his college Michigan address. that's why i think they withheld taxes. i have completed turbo tax several times and it keeps showing that he owes taxes for both states

On the MI non resident return you must allocate ZERO income to MI so all the withholding is refunded.

thanks! very helpful

Well since you only need to file an IL return since those states have a reciprocal agreement  but you didn't file a form MI-W4 with the employer and MI taxes were withheld in error you must also file an MI return as well.  

Step 1 ... fix the MI-W4 error for 2018

Step 2 ... say yes to you worked in another state

Step 3 ... in the state return sections you MUST complete the non resident MI return FIRST to get back all the the taxes they withheld in error

Step 4 ... complete the IL resident return where you will owe taxes 

Step 5 ... file the federal & both state returns asap

Step 6 ... pay the IL balance due by 4/17/18 (hopefully the MI refund will be there in time) or at least pay some of it ... then the state will bill you for the rest later.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

IL-W5-NR link is broken
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies