Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Idaho, but work in north Dakota, where on my W4 can I get income taxes for Idaho taken from my check?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I live in Idaho, but work in north Dakota, where on my W4 can I get income taxes for Idaho taken from my check?

Form W4 applies to federal withholdings only.  Your ND employer is not required to withhold ID taxes, but can do it voluntarily if he agrees.  However, remember that ND can tax you as a non-resident on your earnings from working in ND.  Therefore it is actually to your benefit to have ND taxes withheld.

Here is what ID says about your situation:

Idaho residents working in other states

If you're an employer and your employee is an Idaho resident but is working in another state, you generally don't have to withhold Idaho income tax. Instead, you should withhold tax for the state in which the employee is working. You should contact that state to be sure of its withholding tax laws.

If the other state doesn't require withholding, Idaho tax can be withheld if both you and your employee agree.

https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1026.cfm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Form W4 applies to federal withholdings only.  Your ND employer is not required to withhold ID taxes, but can do it voluntarily if he agrees.  However, remember that ND can tax you as a non-resident on your earnings from working in ND.  Therefore it is actually to your benefit to have ND taxes withheld.

Here is what ID says about your situation:

Idaho residents working in other states

If you're an employer and your employee is an Idaho resident but is working in another state, you generally don't have to withhold Idaho income tax. Instead, you should withhold tax for the state in which the employee is working. You should contact that state to be sure of its withholding tax laws.

If the other state doesn't require withholding, Idaho tax can be withheld if both you and your employee agree.

https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1026.cfm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies