turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Hawaii but my money earned is in CA. Do I get credit from HI. on taxes I paid in CA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DS30

I live in Hawaii but my money earned is in CA. Do I get credit from HI. on taxes I paid in CA?

Yes.

If you are a permanent resident of HI but have earned income in CA, then you will need to file a CA nonresident state income tax return (for your CA source income only). You will also need to file an HI resident state tax return (for all income from all sources including CA income). You will get a state income tax credit in HI for any CA state income taxes that you paid on your nonresident CA state income tax return.

You will want to work on your nonresident CA state income tax return first. You will then take a tax credit from your nonresident CA state income taxes on your resident HI state income tax return. (Please note that you will only get a tax credit for your CA state income taxes up to the amount of HI state income taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in HI).  The credit for taxes paid to another state section will be at the end of your residence state's interview process.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

kayemmm
Returning Member

I'm working in Hawaii for three months and have noticed they are taking a good chunk of money out of my paychecks every week. Will I get this money back when I file next year since I am not a resident here?!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies