turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jboiano

I live in CT and work in MA and made less than $3,000. in MA. I am reading that I do NOT have to file a MA return if I made under $8,000. in MA. Is this correct?

Also, will I pay state taxes for both states or just one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I live in CT and work in MA and made less than $3,000. in MA. I am reading that I do NOT have to file a MA return if I made under $8,000. in MA. Is this correct?

Not exactly.  The actual Massachusetts rule is this:

If you're a nonresident with an annual Massachusetts gross income of more than either $8,000 or the prorated personal exemption, whichever is less, you must file a Massachusetts tax return.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/who-must-file-a-state-personal-income-tax-return

ALL your income is taxable by CT, including your earnings from MA.  If you have to file an MA return, you'll be able to take a credit on your CT return for any taxes paid to MA. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
jboiano

Thanks Tom.  It looks like I do NOT have to file since I made less than $8,000. in MA last year.  Or am I missing something?  I did file the money earned in MA on my CT & Fed taxes.
TomD8
Level 15

You must also calculate your prorated MA personal exemption.  If your gross MA income exceeds that amount, you must file an MA return, even if your MA gross is under $8,000.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
jboiano

Got it, thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies