Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a W2 from an employer located in Quebec. I have e-filed my taxes several times with income from this employer however today the system is insisting on a US state abbreviation and zip code. Can I still e-file?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CathyD

I have a W2 from an employer located in Quebec. I have e-filed my taxes several times with income from this employer however today the system is insisting on a US state abbreviation and zip code. Can I still e-file?

If you follow the instructions below it will get you the right country and allow you to efile. 

1.  Federal taxes /

2.  Wages & Income-Wages and Salaries - Start /Revisit

3.  On screen, Here's your W-2 info, since you have already entered the W-2 and need to adjust the employer's address, select Edit under the employer's name

4.  Select Foreign Address under Address Type and Canada under Country.  

I'm also having this problem!I have it listed as a foreign address with the correct info. It accepts it correctly for my federal, but my state still wants a state abbreviation and zip code. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@kmichelle43 If you didn't pay any State Tax on your foreign W-2, then leave Boxes 15-20 blank in TurboTax when you enter your W-2 in your Federal return. 

You didn't mention your state, but if this does resolve the error, all your income is taxable in your Resident State, so you could enter your two-letter state abbreviation (AZ for Arizona, for example) and your zip code. 

Click this link for more info on How to Manually Enter a W-2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies