sunshine07748

I had solar installed I am supposed to be getting the solar credit of 18,000 I qualify then it tells me it will be carried over till 2021 what does that mean?

MinhT1

The solar credit is a non-refundable credit. This means that the credit will help reduce your 2020 tax liability. Once your tax liability has been reduced to zero, any excess credit will not be refunded to you, but will be carried over to future years. So in the future, it will help reduce your tax liability until exhausted.

sunshine07748

I’m supposed to repay that money back to the Loan so my payments don’t go up. 

JotikaT2

Unfortunately, as it is a nonrefundable credit as mentioned by MinhT1 above, it can only be used to offset the tax liability on your tax return.  

Please see the links below for additional information.

Solar credit information

Refundable versus nonrefundable credits