turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lkm29657

I got a letter saying I need to go to DOR.SC.GOV/VERIFYCODE and type in the code how do i know this isn't a scam

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

I got a letter saying I need to go to DOR.SC.GOV/VERIFYCODE and type in the code how do i know this isn't a scam

Please contact your state treasury department to verify the document is legitimate.

Here are some ways to contact them:

Phone: 1-844-898-8542 
Refund Status: 803-898-5300
Email: IITax@dor.sc.gov 

Please see the following website https://dor.sc.gov/refund for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tjoe2014

My number is [phone number removed]

This appears to be a legit URL. They are probably asking because they have some reason to believe that someone has filed a fake return in your name to get a fake refund. This happens on the federal level a lot and people get letters from the IRS all the time asking for them to confirm who they are.

However, there is absolutely no harm in doing what BrandiLO suggests and calling the state - indeed, you may be able to confirm your identity over the phone with the state (ask them).

Tjoe2014

Now what do I need to do

I went to the South Carolina Security Center - https://dor.sc.gov/securitycenter. The website noted:

"New from the SCDOR: Identity Verification Quiz and Individual Code Verification. The SCDOR has implemented new security measures to ensure that fraudsters are not using your information to file a false return and steal your refund. You may receive a letter from the SCDOR asking you to visit MyDORWAY to complete one of these verifications after filing your return. This is just another step we are taking to keep your information private."

This is not the same procedure that you are being asked to do, so I have a concern.

Call area code 844 and phone number 898-8542 (choose Option 1) and ask them (this is the SC Department of Revenue), describe the letter, and ask them if the letter is legit. As before, ask if you can do the identity verification over the phone; otherwise do whatever they tell you to do.

NOTE TO MODS (or whoever edited my post): the phone number in the paragraph above is the phone number for Individual Tax at the South Carolina Department of Revenue (see https://dor.sc.gov/contact), not a private phone number! Please remove the block on this number!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The link above - https://dor.sc.gov/securitycenter - is still active at the state's website and showing the same information, so I am inclined to believe that the program of checking taxpayers' identities is still ongoing.

I got a letter saying I need to go to dor.sc.gov/VerifyCode

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please go through the actual state of SC website portal that was created for this purpose. There are scam letters out there. Please click here, Security Center - South Carolina Department of Revenue

From  dor.sc.gov › securitycenter:

New from the SCDOR: Identity Verification Quiz and Individual Code Verification. ... You may receive a letter from the SCDOR asking you to visit MyDORWAY to ...

I was a resident there when their system was hacked many years ago. Better safe than sorry.

fsm76

Verify my identity....I didn't use y'all this year

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

See AmyC's post above. 

Security Center - South Carolina Department of Revenue

From  dor.sc.gov › securitycenter:

New from the SCDOR: Identity Verification Quiz and Individual Code Verification. ... You may receive a letter from the SCDOR asking you to visit MyDORWAY to .

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can call the South Carolina department of revenue to verify the legitimacy of the request as follows:  1-844-898-8542

Buncum5

SC3p3pr2

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the above thread for information on who to contact to verify the email that was received.  

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you have a question about whether this is a legitimate request from the SC Department of Revenue, please call them directly at 1-844-898-8542.

Also see the following:  SC Security Center

On that site, it states that you may receive a letter from SCDOR requesting that you go to MyDORWAY to complete an identity verification quiz and individual code verification.  If your letter is sending you to a different website, you should be cautious.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies