Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found an error in the way Turbox Tax reports WI Schedule SB line 6

The software does not properly fill in line 6 of Schedule SB. Even though SSA-1099 was filled in properly, there are deductions that can be made and Turbotax does not deduct Medicare insurance premiums, for example, Parts B and D resulting in paying too much state tax. I can't find anywhere to notify Turbotax of the error.

WI schedule B instructions are found here: 2022 I-0104 2022 Schedule SB Instructions - Subtractions from Income (wi.gov)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Thank you for providing your token number.  After digging in to the situation a bit further, I can see that even though your Medicare premiums were entered as part of your Federal tax return, every piece of data may not transfer to the state return as you would hope.  In the case of the Medicare premiums that can be subtracted from your Wisconsin income, you will need to enter the amount manually.  

As you go through the Wisconsin return, the screen will pop up automatically so that you can enter your medical insurance premiums.  If you have already finished the Wisconsin return, you can go back to that screen by choosing to Edit the Income section of the state return and then Edit the Medical Care Insurance section.

Once you are on the screen titled Medical Care Insurance, go to the last entry on the page labeled Employee or Unemployed and enter the total Medicare premiums that were deducted.  In your case the number would be $4498.  This will report the amount on Form 1 Schedule SB line 6.  

See the screenshot below for reference:

@Dleannah 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Your social security form is entered on the federal tax return, and TurboTax transfers your income to your state returns.   Wisconsin does not tax Social Security retirement benefits, even those taxed at the federal level.   We subtract any Social Security benefits that were taxable on the federal return.   To find the amount that should be on Schedule SB, you need to look at your federal Form 1040, line 6b as that is the portion taxable on your federal return.   You can only subtract the portion that was taxable on the federal return.  

So, Line 6B shows an amount greater than the deduction.  If I understand you correctly, then Schedule SB SHOULD show the deduction. I had to put the number in the form manually.  If the deduction is allowed, I expected that TurboTax would have filled in the amount for me, but it did not.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I would like to take a deeper look at this line 6 WI issue.  The premiums for parts B and D should be pulling over. However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below and please @AmyC:

TurboTax Online:
Sign into your online account.
Locate the Tax Tools on the left-hand side of the screen. 
A drop-down will appear. Select Tools 
On the pop-up screen, click on “Share my file with agent.”
This will generate a message that a diagnostic file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:
Open your return.
Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent”
This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.

Token 1199336

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Thank you for providing your token number.  After digging in to the situation a bit further, I can see that even though your Medicare premiums were entered as part of your Federal tax return, every piece of data may not transfer to the state return as you would hope.  In the case of the Medicare premiums that can be subtracted from your Wisconsin income, you will need to enter the amount manually.  

As you go through the Wisconsin return, the screen will pop up automatically so that you can enter your medical insurance premiums.  If you have already finished the Wisconsin return, you can go back to that screen by choosing to Edit the Income section of the state return and then Edit the Medical Care Insurance section.

Once you are on the screen titled Medical Care Insurance, go to the last entry on the page labeled Employee or Unemployed and enter the total Medicare premiums that were deducted.  In your case the number would be $4498.  This will report the amount on Form 1 Schedule SB line 6.  

See the screenshot below for reference:

@Dleannah 

OK - I entered it directly on the form because I knew where it would go. It would have cost me several hundred dollars if I had not caught it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies