turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

varricon

I filed my state taxes in South Carolina, but I work in Georgia. South Carolina contacted me about the mistake, but I can't figure out how to fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I filed my state taxes in South Carolina, but I work in Georgia. South Carolina contacted me about the mistake, but I can't figure out how to fix it?

I assume you live in SC (that you are a resident of SC) and work in Georgia.  I assume you had GA tax withheld on your W-2.

If this is correct, you will need to file an amended SC resident return and remove the Georgia state wage withholding.  You will need to file a Georgia nonresident return and declare your Georgia wages which are taxable in Georgia.  Prepare your Georgia nonresident tax return first as the tax you pay in Georgia can be a credit on your SC return to help offset SC tax.

You will need to set up the amended return for SC.  Then you need to go to the Personal Information page and make sure that you select that you worked in another state, Georgia.  Then you can go to the Georgia return and complete it as a nonresident.  The information should transfer over to the SC return,  giving you a credit on the amended SC return for the taxes calculated on the Georgia return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies