turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e-filed in the state of MI, Do I need to send in anything to the State and City of Lansing? Im not really understanding if I do or not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I e-filed in the state of MI, Do I need to send in anything to the State and City of Lansing? Im not really understanding if I do or not.

Per the 2017 LANSING INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX FORMS AND INSTRUCTIONS (https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4873:(

"WHO MUST FILE A RETURN

If you had Lansing taxable income greater than the total of your personal and dependency exemptions, you must file a tax return— even if you did not file a federal tax return. See Exemptions schedule for more information on your allowable exemption total. You are required to file a tax return and pay tax even if your employer did not withhold Lansing tax from your paycheck. You will be required to make estimated income tax payments if you work for an employer not withholding Lansing tax from your 2018 wages."

TurboTax can prepare some city tax returns (Which city tax returns can I do in the TurboTax state program?). However, the city tax return section is located in the state tax return section.

If your state tax return is still Pending, you may wait to see if it gets Rejected or Accepted. If your state tax return gets rejected, you may use TurboTax to prepare your city tax return and the software should tell you if it can be e-filed along with your state tax return or if it has to be printed and mailed. If your state tax return gets accepted, you may use TurboTax to prepare your city tax return but you will have print and mail your city tax return since you will not be able to e-file your state tax return again.

The city of Lansing still requires you to manually mail in your tax forms. They do not accept e-file at this time.

*The only exception is if you use "Tax Act" to prepare your taxes, as Lansing currently has a contract with them.*

Hope this helps. Good luck! 

-Dave C.

Thank you for this information. Can you please share which tax forms we must mail in? Is it the MI-1040 and CF-1040 Forms?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies