Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e-filed 1040EZ through Turbotax. Now I found out that I have to file a 1040 instead because my income is from Kentucky and my residence is Illinois. How do I fix this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I e-filed 1040EZ through Turbotax. Now I found out that I have to file a 1040 instead because my income is from Kentucky and my residence is Illinois. How do I fix this?

Your state presence has no impact on your federal return and whether you file a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Where you live or work doesn't impact your federal return, unless you have Community Property issues.(which doesn't apply here)

If you work in Kentucky and live in Illinois, you do not file a Kentucky return. KY and IL have reciprocity, which means you only file return with the state where you live.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

That is about your state returns though, and doesn't impact your federal return.

What states did you file? Did you have KY taxes withheld in error?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Your state presence has no impact on your federal return and whether you file a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Where you live or work doesn't impact your federal return, unless you have Community Property issues.(which doesn't apply here)

If you work in Kentucky and live in Illinois, you do not file a Kentucky return. KY and IL have reciprocity, which means you only file return with the state where you live.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

That is about your state returns though, and doesn't impact your federal return.

What states did you file? Did you have KY taxes withheld in error?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies