Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krm007

I completed an IL Tax Return (printed, not mailed or e-filed). Then verified that my company does state taxes where you work remotely, not in the HQ state. Now what?

I filed a Federal Tax Return and an NE Tax Return with my W-2 information. I started an Illinois Tax return, paid for the form, but because I'm a non-resident it required me to mail in and file. And pay via check. I found out today from our payroll team that I'm technically employed in NE as a remote employee, not through the state of IL, so I don't need to file in Illinois. Since it was a paper filing, do I need to amend, void or do anything? Or just chalk it up to I overpaid TurboTax for paperwork I didn't end up needing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I completed an IL Tax Return (printed, not mailed or e-filed). Then verified that my company does state taxes where you work remotely, not in the HQ state. Now what?

That is correct; if you work remotely in Nebraska, that is Nebraska source income even if your company is located in another state.

Did your company withhold Illinois taxes in addition to Nebraska taxes? In the lower section of your W2, boxes 15, 16, and 17 does it show both Nebraska and Illinois and have amounts for taxes withheld in each state? If so, you will want to file a non-resident Illinois return to get those withholding refunded.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies