turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdcull

Can I complete my tax return if I live in Australia. I will need help, as I tried before but could not figure it out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I complete my tax return if I live in Australia. I will need help, as I tried before but could not figure it out?

I assume you are asking about a 2017 return.  Online TurboTax is only for 2017 returns.  By your username above it is showing TurboTax Live.   If that is what you are using, that's the new product that allows you access to a CPA or EA during return preparation and review.  With that product you can request individual assistance as much as you need.

You said you are in Australia?  What is your citizenship status and what kind of return do you need?  TurboTax can only prepare Form 1040/A/EZ returns for US residents and "resident aliens for tax purposes."   It cannot prepare Form 1040NR returns for non-resident aliens, but a TurboTax partner company can.

You can efile a return with a foreign address, but you will need a US credit/debit card with a US billing address or US bank account with US billing address to pay any product fees, pay taxes owed, or receive a direct deposit.   The IRS will not deposit a refund to a foreign bank.

Some states allow efiling with foreign address; some don't.

See this:
 FAQ: Can I efile with a foreign address?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301481

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies