hangstephanie

I am from California (worked for 1/2019-6/2019) and moved to NYC for school in June 2019. Do I have to file taxes for NYS if I'm a student with no income?

For now, I'm putting down that I was a part-time resident in CA and NY. I don't want to pay the $50 to file my NY taxes if my refund is less than that.
AmyC

If your income in NY is zero, you do not need to file. 

If you are single and claiming yourself, you do not file unless your NY income exceeds $8,000.

If you are single and being claimed, you do not file unless your NY income exceeds $3,100.

hangstephanie

Thank you! My driver's license and voting address is all in CA. I am only in NYC for school. Would I still be considered a part-time CA and part-time NY resident for 2019?

AmyC

No, as a student you maintain your regular home in CA. NY would be non-resident, unless you create a permanent home there.

hangstephanie

Thank you!

AmyC

You are very welcome! Good luck in school!