turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am from California (worked for 1/2019-6/2019) and moved to NYC for school in June 2019. Do I have to file taxes for NYS if I'm a student with no income?

For now, I'm putting down that I was a part-time resident in CA and NY. I don't want to pay the $50 to file my NY taxes if my refund is less than that.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I am from California (worked for 1/2019-6/2019) and moved to NYC for school in June 2019. Do I have to file taxes for NYS if I'm a student with no income?

If your income in NY is zero, you do not need to file. 

If you are single and claiming yourself, you do not file unless your NY income exceeds $8,000.

If you are single and being claimed, you do not file unless your NY income exceeds $3,100.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! My driver's license and voting address is all in CA. I am only in NYC for school. Would I still be considered a part-time CA and part-time NY resident for 2019?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, as a student you maintain your regular home in CA. NY would be non-resident, unless you create a permanent home there.

Thank you!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You are very welcome! Good luck in school!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies