Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nirajgtm

I am a resident of NY. I was in Michigan for work in (Oct, Nov, Dec) 2018. Didnt change address. My W2 has my NY address, should i file my tax for Michigan state as well?

Hi, For my job i went to michigan, since my client is in Michigan and lived with a friend without changing address for Oct, Nov and Dec. My W-2 has my employer's address (which is in NJ) and my resident address (which is NY). Should i mention that i made income out of state and pay michigan state taxe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am a resident of NY. I was in Michigan for work in (Oct, Nov, Dec) 2018. Didnt change address. My W2 has my NY address, should i file my tax for Michigan state as well?

Yes.  You will file a Michigan nonresident return for the income you earned in Michigan.  However, if your main work is in NJ, you will need to subtract the Michigan income out of what might be reported to New Jersey.  Both New Jersey and Michigan cannot tax you at the same time on this income.  New York can and does tax all of your income.  If you work in NJ, prepare the returns in this order:

1. Figure out the MI income, and report that amount to Michigan on a MI nonresident return (since it is not marked on the W2, you will have to allocate or apportion, or manually enter the income as Michigan wages).
  2. Prepare the NJ nonresident return, but override an income screen to subtract the Michigan income out of the NJ return.
  3. Prepare the NY resident return.  If the first two returns are prepared first, you should have a credit calculate over to your NY return for taxes you pay to MI and NJ on the income attributable to each.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes.  You will file a Michigan nonresident return for the income you earned in Michigan.  However, if your main work is in NJ, you will need to subtract the Michigan income out of what might be reported to New Jersey.  Both New Jersey and Michigan cannot tax you at the same time on this income.  New York can and does tax all of your income.  If you work in NJ, prepare the returns in this order:

1. Figure out the MI income, and report that amount to Michigan on a MI nonresident return (since it is not marked on the W2, you will have to allocate or apportion, or manually enter the income as Michigan wages).
  2. Prepare the NJ nonresident return, but override an income screen to subtract the Michigan income out of the NJ return.
  3. Prepare the NY resident return.  If the first two returns are prepared first, you should have a credit calculate over to your NY return for taxes you pay to MI and NJ on the income attributable to each.  
nirajgtm

Thank-you very much for that explanation 🙂
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.
spalat

I am a full time student in MI. In 2020, I had three part time jobs all for companies located in MI.

In one of the jobs,  the payroll company sends me a w2 with NY as the state (based on my permanent address) and deducted NY state taxes.

Should i ask the payroll company to send me another w2 with corrected information ? 

OR should i file MI as resident for the two jobs and a non resident NY return with the turbotax system generated income although the work was in MI

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies