Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a resident in Minnesota but worked for a company in California would my income from them have been taxed by CA and MN or just CA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeoffreyG

I am a resident in Minnesota but worked for a company in California would my income from them have been taxed by CA and MN or just CA.

If we understand you correctly, you are a Minnesota resident, living and working in Minnesota, for a company with headquarters in California, correct?

If that is so, then it actually doesn't matter where your employer may be based.  It could be California, New York, or even Tokyo Japan.  As an individual, you don't have to file a tax return or pay taxes in your employer's home state (or country), or in the state where they may happen to have a payroll office (hence the address on your W-2).

Really, all you need to do is report and pay taxes on what you earn from your employment in the state(s) where you actually live and where you work.  In your case this will just be Minnesota.  A California return is not required.  Don't be concerned, for income tax filing purposes, what the employer's address on your W-2 indicates.

In other words, an employer's corporate address that is different from the state(s) in which you live and work, has no actual meaning or effect on how you file your personal income tax return.  Thus, you don't need to input an answer in TurboTax that you made money in any another state, simply because of your employer's address.  That's not what it means to have or earn income in more than one state (although we can certainly understand and appreciate the confusion if you haven't faced this issue before).

Let's work through another example for clarity.  Say that Mary lives and work in Kansas, but her employer is headquartered in North Carolina.  Furthermore they have a payroll office in Minnesota that issues her a weekly paycheck and mails her a W-2 at the the end of the year.  In this situation, she only has to file a tax return and pay taxes in Kansas.  She can and does ignore North Carolina and Minnesota for tax reporting purposes.  Hopefully, that logic and this explanation will help to clarify things.

On the other hand, if you meant in your question that you have or maintain a home in Minnesota, but that you took a job (physically) in California and therefore actually worked in Califorina, then the above answer will differ.  In this instance you would have a multi-state income issue, pay taxes in two states, and file for a nonresident state tax credit on the income that is taxed by both states.  We would be glad to explain that process further for you, upon request.  Please just let us know.

In conclusion, as you can see, it makes a big difference for income tax reporting where you are working, but not where your employer is located.

Thank you for asking this important question.

I am a Minnesota resident, but why am I paying California state tax ,even though I didn't live more than 2 months, or wrk there?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If you lived there for two months and received income during that time, you would need to file a CA return.  If you did not earn any income during the two months you lived in CA and have no income from CA sources, you do not need to file a CA return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies