turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a Delaware resident n my employer is in PA. my employer is withholding taxes for Delaware and PA. Any help on this how I can avoid getting double state taxed?

Hi All, I am a Delaware resident and my employer is in PA. I received my first pay and to my surprise my employer is withholding taxes for Delaware and PA. I am confused to why double withholdings for states since I am resident of Delaware. Any help on this how I can avoid getting double taxed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a Delaware resident n my employer is in PA. my employer is withholding taxes for Delaware and PA. Any help on this how I can avoid getting double state taxed?

Unfortunately, you are subject to taxation in both states

While Pennsylvania does have tax reciprocity agreements with several states, Delaware does not participate in any of these agreements. Delaware taxes residents on the income they earn in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania taxes non-residents on the income they earn in the state.

So you are not taxed twice, you are allowed a credit for the taxes paid to Pennsylvania. The net effect is that your overall state tax rate will be at the higher rate between the two states. 

When you prepare your tax returns, you will need to prepare your PA return before you prepare your DE return

For more information, follow these links:

Delaware on Out of State Income

PA Who Must File 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Unfortunately, you are subject to taxation in both states

While Pennsylvania does have tax reciprocity agreements with several states, Delaware does not participate in any of these agreements. Delaware taxes residents on the income they earn in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania taxes non-residents on the income they earn in the state.

So you are not taxed twice, you are allowed a credit for the taxes paid to Pennsylvania. The net effect is that your overall state tax rate will be at the higher rate between the two states. 

When you prepare your tax returns, you will need to prepare your PA return before you prepare your DE return

For more information, follow these links:

Delaware on Out of State Income

PA Who Must File 

Thank you Carolyn, so does it mean my employer will cut taxes for both states and at the end I will get credit from other state (PA since I am DE resident). But all this only at the end of the year basically when I am filing returns for 2019 (in 2020)? is my understanding correct here?

Yes. That is correct. If you did not earn this income until 2019, you will report on the tax returns you are filing next spring. You will get credit for the taxes paid to to PA on your DE tax return. You will also get credit for the taxes already paid to your home state, so your chances of owing DE income tax next spring are greatly reduced.

Thank you again Carolyn for super prompt response. Can you tell me is their a way some form or something that I can submit to my employer and avoid him cutting taxes for either of the states? As I do see some employers only cut taxes for DE even when their employees work in PA. Is their any form I can submit so only 1 state tax is cut? As with this situation I am giving lot of my money in taxes to two states only to claim after 12 months :(.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies