Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlpba45

I am a college student in NY &work both there & my primary state PA. I have W-2s from both jobs. Should I file taxes for NY & PA -permanent residence still PA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I am a college student in NY &work both there & my primary state PA. I have W-2s from both jobs. Should I file taxes for NY & PA -permanent residence still PA?

It depends on the amount of income earned in New York and whether you're considered a resident. Please view the information below to determine if you're required to file a New York state return.

According to the New York state dept of revenue, you're a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:

• your domicile is New York State (see Exception below), or
  • your domicile is not New York State but you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State for more than 11 months of the year and spend 184 days1 or more in New York State during the tax year.

Unless the above situation applies, then you should file a nonresident return for the state of New York if your New York income is above the filing threshold below. 

New York 2017 standard deductions:

1. Single (and can be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return) $3,100 or Single (and cannot be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return) $8,000
2. Married filing joint return$16,050
3. Married filing separate return$8,000
4. Head of household (with qualifying person)$11,200
5. Qualifying widow(er)$16,050

Please view the directions in this TurboTax FAQ if you are required to file a nonresident New York tax return. In this case, you will need to file your New York return first.

Please view this New York link below for more information about filing requirements. 

Note: You may want to file a New York tax return even if you are not required to if you've had new York taxes withheld. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

It depends on the amount of income earned in New York and whether you're considered a resident. Please view the information below to determine if you're required to file a New York state return.

According to the New York state dept of revenue, you're a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:

• your domicile is New York State (see Exception below), or
  • your domicile is not New York State but you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State for more than 11 months of the year and spend 184 days1 or more in New York State during the tax year.

Unless the above situation applies, then you should file a nonresident return for the state of New York if your New York income is above the filing threshold below. 

New York 2017 standard deductions:

1. Single (and can be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return) $3,100 or Single (and cannot be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return) $8,000
2. Married filing joint return$16,050
3. Married filing separate return$8,000
4. Head of household (with qualifying person)$11,200
5. Qualifying widow(er)$16,050

Please view the directions in this TurboTax FAQ if you are required to file a nonresident New York tax return. In this case, you will need to file your New York return first.

Please view this New York link below for more information about filing requirements. 

Note: You may want to file a New York tax return even if you are not required to if you've had new York taxes withheld. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies