Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filed federal taxes on the other program. Now turbotax said that it reused federal taxes to get my state taxes. And show that I paid 0 dollars to VA. It's wrong

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I already filed federal taxes on the other program. Now turbotax said that it reused federal taxes to get my state taxes. And show that I paid 0 dollars to VA. It's wrong

Do you mean you prepared your tax return using TurboTax and filed your federal tax return and now you are working on your state tax return? If so, TurboTax does use your federal tax entries to prepare much of your state tax return. 

What do you think is wrong with your state tax return? Can you be more specific please?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I used completely different application to make my Federal taxes. I even got a money already. Now ai want to do only state taxes. How can I make state only taxes here and avoid double submissions on federal taxes? 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Enter exactly the same information in TurboTax that you did for the federal tax return you actually filed.  The federal return in TurboTax should look exactly like the one you filed.  Then:

1. Go to the State section, add your state and complete all the questions for your state return.
  2. Complete the Review section.
  3. Go to the File section, and select that you want to "print and mail" your tax return, and then on the next screen select only the state return.
  4. Follow the instructions from there to print and mail your state tax return

You cannot e-file your state return in TurboTax, because you did not e-file your federal return with TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies