Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CP01
Level 2

How to print state tax return to mail

How do I print my state returns to mail it. I e-filed the Federal already. Before Turbotax gave the option once to filed the federal it used to walk you through to print the State if you checked to mail. Now after filing the federal there is no option to print the state returns please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions, click on File at the top of the desktop program screen.  On the File a return screen click on File by Mail

On the following screen for Federal choose Do not print my federal return and Continue

CP01
Level 2

I did the next screen says Nothing is selected to e-file. 

Before when I clicked it used to give the option to enter the direct deposit information and then to print it now nothing help... hope the software is not corrupt :( 

@CP01 See screenshots -

File by Mail TTD 1.JPG

file by mail TTD 2.JPG

After continuing through several more screens you will come to the screen to enter direct deposit information for the state tax return

File by Mail TTD 3.JPG

CP01
Level 2

I don't get any other screens after Nothing is selected to e-file not sure why it is saying this when i clicked to mail the return

@CP01 wrote:

I don't get any other screens after Nothing is selected to e-file not sure why it is saying this when i clicked to mail the return

@ DoninGA 

I think your images were obtained before efiling (i.e., when going through the process the first time) while this user, due to a possible program quirk, will not be able to duplicate them exactly since he has already efiled the Federal, and here's why:

I think there may be a quirk in that section this year.  I have seen 3-4 posts from a few users who have that same problem in the desktop software after they had already efiled the Federal return, and can't get the attempted switch to a mailed state return to "stick."  So it keeps telling them "nothing has been selected to efile."   Anecdotally, here's what one reported they had to do to resolve it:

1) Even though your Federal return has already been efiled, fool TurboTax by saying that you want to file the Federal return by mail.  (Of course, you don't really file it again by mail.)

2) And then, hopefully, see if it will let you choose to file the state by mail, and let you proceed to print the state return.

In other words, if TurboTax is fooled into thinking you are filing a Federal return by mail, then that forces it to allow a mailed state return since that would then be one's only option.

CP01
Level 2

Yes, I had to do this work around this year. Previous years it was not like this if you efiled your Federal it used to walk to the steps of printing your state tax. Turbotax should fix this for next year let how it used to be. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies