Edge10

How to Include Extension form and New Jersey e-file

I filed for  Federal extension for 2020 using an IRS downloadable form 4868 and mailed it with a $200 payment.  I entered this payment in Turbo Tax in Other payments and Credits an it appears on Schedule 3 line 9, but I do not see form 4868.   New Jersey requires a copy of 4868 with the return.  How do I include form 4868 with my NJ state e-file ?

fanfare

If you have a Federal extension, your NJ extension is automatic also.

You don't have to include any Form with your e-Filing.

Nor can you do that.

PS anybody can get form 4868 right now from IRS website and put their name on it, so including it now  is meaningless.

fanfare

When e-Filing,

"fill in the oval (regarding extension) on the front of your NJ-1040."

Presumably, TurboTax will handle this for you since it knows you requested a federal extension.

Edge10

I did fill in the oval on the NJ return.  I hope you are right about TT providing the info, but I have my doubts.  Looking at the NJ tax web site they require a Fed confirmation number for online filing, a copy of the Fed  paper extension form 4868 that was filed May 17, 2021  or the NJ -630 extension mailed on May 17, 2021.   https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/questions/extension.shtml

fanfare

it says,

if filed by paper,

that means if you filed the 4868 on paper, and, you are filing your NJ return on paper.

see IRS website to file a request for extension online, no paper required.

fanfare

If you print a paper copy of NJ for your records,

you should see, on Page 1, a mark next to the line "Federal extension filed."

Always print a copy of your completed tax return(s) for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason,

AND, to find your AGI next year.