turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter W-2C for incorrect state withholding?

Hello, I had taxes incorrectly withheld from the state of Oregon. This was indicated on my W-2, as well as my paystubs. I contacted my employer and they sent me a W2-C, and told me I would need to file with Oregon to get the money back. In the W2-C form, only 15-17 are populated, and the corrected column shows state wages and tax as $0. The problem is when I update the W-2 section in Turbotax to reflect the correct values and select "corrected W-2", TurboTax seems to think there were no taxes withheld by Oregon, and that I will not get a refund. I know this is incorrect, but I am not sure how to have TurboTax reflect that. Does anything have any insight?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Did you file the Oregon tax return already?  Go to your original W2 entry and make the change for the state wages in Box 16.  This should change your Oregon state tax amount.  Please let us know in this thread if this does not work.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have not filed my state return yet. If I change the state wages in Box 16 to the amount on the corrected W-2 ($0) and keep box 17 as the original W-2 value, it works and my calculated Oregon refund is correct. However the W-2C my employer sent me also changed Box 17 (State income tax) to $0. If I enter $0 for state tax on TurboTax I get the original problem of not getting the correct return amount. Could this be a mistake in the W-2C sent by my employer?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Yes. 

Based on what you're saying, the employer's W-2C isn't correct.

Contact them again and explain the issue.  They need to issue another W-2C with no state income but with state tax withholding.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies