How to apply Chinese student $5000 exemption treaty to the federal tax return? I didn't see any information included while filling out the forms.

Here are the instructions:

1.  Report your full income. Then enter the treaty exempt amount as negative amount ( -5000) under                                            Federal Taxes / Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C / Other Reportable Income

2.  You will have to file form 8833 from IRS to claim an exception.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8833.pdf

3.  You cannot e-file.  You can still use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax forms, but you need to print them out            and submit by mail along with the form 8833. 

Hi, I want to point out that 8833 is NOT necessary for STUDENTS claiming treaty benefits. Exact wordings from IRS: "You claim a treaty reduces or modifies the taxation of ...income of…students...This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants". See publication 519. Further, can you show the IRS official documentation banning e-file in this situation? I am unable to find any publication that documents this.

Hi,

I want to point out that 8833 is NOT necessary for STUDENTS claiming treaty benefits.  Exact wordings from IRS: "You claim a treaty reduces or modifies the taxation of ...income of…students...This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants".  See publication 519.

Further, can you show the IRS official documentation banning e-file in this situation?  I am unable to find any publication that documents this.