turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tzword06

How to apply Chinese student $5000 exemption treaty to the federal tax return? I didn't see any information included while filling out the forms.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

How to apply Chinese student $5000 exemption treaty to the federal tax return? I didn't see any information included while filling out the forms.

Here are the instructions:

1.  Report your full income. Then enter the treaty exempt amount as negative amount ( -5000) under                                            Federal Taxes / Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C / Other Reportable Income

2.  You will have to file form 8833 from IRS to claim an exception.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8833.pdf

3.  You cannot e-file.  You can still use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax forms, but you need to print them out            and submit by mail along with the form 8833. 

Hi, I want to point out that 8833 is NOT necessary for STUDENTS claiming treaty benefits. Exact wordings from IRS: "You claim a treaty reduces or modifies the taxation of ...income of…students...This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants". See publication 519. Further, can you show the IRS official documentation banning e-file in this situation? I am unable to find any publication that documents this.

Hi,

I want to point out that 8833 is NOT necessary for STUDENTS claiming treaty benefits.  Exact wordings from IRS: "You claim a treaty reduces or modifies the taxation of ...income of…students...This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants".  See publication 519.

Further, can you show the IRS official documentation banning e-file in this situation?  I am unable to find any publication that documents this.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies