Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I remove other installed states from the desktop version of TurboTax?

Thanks for this  cparke3, however when I tried as you advised to run the uninstaller for the 2 states I wanted to remove, the uninstaller indicated that it couldn't install them.  I tried both, and maybe it was a syntax error or something, but I found another way.  I simply navigated to the location in the folder you had advised (C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Common\Update Service\v4\Data), found the msi file ("wnhiper.msi" & "wcoiper.msi", in my case for New Hampshire & Colorado - I had to dig down into the tree) and right clicked on each of them.  There, the uninstall option appears, and I clicked it - even easier!  After a moment, I got the "preparing to remove", then the warning screen "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device", to which I clicked "yes".  The uninstall script must have run, because I got no errors.  Then I went to edit the registry as you advised, into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Intuit\TY20\PREFILLPERSTATES and deleted the wnhiper & wcoiper registry keys.  When I restarted Turbotax 2020, NH & CO were gone!  So thanks for the housekeeping solution!

Folks,

Actually, there is a way to accomplish what TurboTax tries to make so difficult.  The problem is that each new installation of TTax reads all of the old tax files from prior returns.  It assumes that  the user still needs every state mentioned in any of them.  (Stupid programming, but that's how it works.)

The solution is to make every year's TurboTax think you are a brand new user.  Before installing the new version, move (don't simply copy) all of the old ttax files (the ones with your returns) to an external drive and then disconnect the external drive before beginning installation of the new year version.  To TurboTax, you then look like a first-timer, and it appears to download only the state program for the state from which you purchased the program.

I tried this with the 2020 version.  I moved all the ttax files, then uninstalled TTax2020, and then reinstalled it.  The states I did not want were gone; it downloaded only the state in which I currently live.

I get no credit for this solution; I got it from a TTax support person who actually understood the problem and how to get rid of it.  (Perhaps I should get a Congeniality award for having tested the solution.)

I  live in MI and years ago filed a NY return.   On my desktop version the NY state version shows up as being installed  on my PC version.  How can I uninstall the NY version?  This is different than a delete return in the forms section.

Thanks.  

BJDCPA

Anonymous
Not applicable

i don't have the following file/path on my computer!    C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Common\Update Service\v4\Data

specifically, there is no folder called Program Data. What am I missing here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

we aren't looking to remove a return...  we are trying to remove a state entirely from our software that we no longer use!

Was able to dig down and get rid of the files. It's goofy but it worked.  

Good point.Should not be a big deal.

I have the problem - TT downloads 6 state forms, when I only need one.  So, every time I open the software (downloaded version) it forces me to go through the state update for all 6 states, when I only need 1.  Annoying and wasteful. 

There doesn't seem to be any way to actually reach support, and no technical support to reach.  Is there any way to reach tech support? 

Rusty,

The solution I posted last July does work.  It's needlessly cumbersome, but that's because TurboTax is so inflexible.  After you've sequestered your old returns somewhere where TurboTax can't find them, then open the program, which will then need to ask you what state you want.  Once you've done that, in succeeding years TurboTax will see only this year's return with the single state in which you are now living.  You should be fine after that . . . until you move again.

I don't know how to reach TurboTax support, but with the community's help, you may not need it.

Did you all read this whole thread?  Here are some old notes I have......

One user said......The list of states that you used is stored on your computer. When you get a new computer it starts over with an empty list.  Getting a new computer is the only way I know to get rid of the unwanted states. At one time I asked them to tell us how to remove a state from the list, but they never responded.

Another user said.......The problem definitely resides in the registry.  Since I went through the registry and removed MO, it has not come back with the updates.  I think it is the list of state in Current User, Software, Intuit, TY16, then Needperstates - delete states listed, & PrefillPerStates - delete states list

I AGREE!!!   Lazy and cheap tech support!!

I am a confirmed registry hacker, but there is no need to go into it for this.  See my post from last July.  It works, and it's safer than opening the registry.

Read it.

Wow this has been going on for YEARS!   Yikes.  I guess they aren't spending money on program improvements!

Thanks -

The easiest way to prevent unused states from updating is to switch to a different tax preparation software.

Switching to a different tax preparation software program will solve the problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies