turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Jeff39
Returning Member

How do i delete ca form 3554 from ca income tax form?

I am trying to complete my CA S-Corp State return. Upon doing the review, I'm getting a request to fill in information for Form 3554 New Employment Credit which I should not be getting. I looked in the Help database which tells me to delete the State return and start over being careful not to start the Tax Credit section. I followed the instructions, did not start any Tax Credit section and get the same request for information before I can finish the return. Is this a bug? If so, how to I get around it? Jeff

How Form 3554 was populated and how to remove:

Most likely what happened is when you got the portion of your CA state return that says " Credit and Taxes" if you scroll down the page there is a section called "Credit Recapture" and right underneath it says, “New Employment Credit Recapture. Learn More".

Clicking start on this portion brings you to a screen that says, “New Employment Credit Recapture". 

Here you will see where it says "New Employment Credit Recapture" and there is a box where there must have been a figure inserted, most likely "0" if you did not need this credit. Putting a figure in that box automatically populated that form causing it to now give you errors on the State Return review asking numerous questions about form 3554.

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the "Let's get your state taxes done right" screen.
  3. On the "Status of your state returns" screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

This worked for my 2020 CA State Return. Thank you.

YESS!! This actually fixes it! Thanks SO much!! 

Found it - completing this in March 2021, using Chrome on Macbook.

My browser Turbotax has a lefthand side navigation menu, where it lists things like: Tax Home, Documents, My Info, Federal, State, etc.  Below these main menu items, as you're going through and completing your Taxes, find "Tax Tools" and open this to click on "Tools".  This pops open a little Tools Center window, and a few bullet points down you will see "Delete a form." Select this link to be taken to the forms page where you can edit/delete them individually.

redbusc

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS DETAILED INFORMATION!

Yes, I had to shout that out as it is still a problem with the 2020 tax year (we just followed your instructions and it worked like a charm).

Too bad a large company like intuit cannot fix this ongoing issue.

This was our 2nd year purchasing this program but it will be our last.  This is something that makes a company lose business especially with all the questions and wrong replies to correct the issue.

butterf1y

Solution doesn't work. You can't delete form 3554 nor re-start over your CA tax return when you are already at e-file stage...  and the errors will keep you from e-file. Only way to get around this error is to enter XXX or 0 to get out of the mess.... Please fix this bug in the software and allow users to decline this section.

johnkenko
Returning Member

But I do not see any input in those fields,  just a "blank" field?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

What input fields are your referencing.   I will link the accepted solution to this thread here.   Please respond back with more details if the link does not help.    @johnkenko

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KerryRose

This worked perfectly for TT Business 2020, selected Forms icon, clicked on the Form #, and it had an option at the bottom of the screen to "Delete Form." It asked for confirmation, then deleted it. Reran the Review for Errors and no problems.  Thanks for your clear and helpful instructions.

Irish Eyes 3
Returning Member

I can't get rid of 3554.  How do I do it?  Have tried 3 suggestions and none work.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Please clarify what suggestions you have tried.

I never got to that page in the CA taxes and entered any 0 ! I filled in the Federal information and your program auto fills the state info.  The customer doesn't get to enter anything on the State...you should know that! You should fix your **bleep** program and stop blaming the user if you know it creates the error in the first place . 

ma x

It worked thanks.  

That link does NOT take you to instructions on deleting the CA return!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies