Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I delete a (non-resident) state tax return?

There's an answer that says I *can't* delete a state tax return if I've already paid for it. In my case, I paid $0 for it, because the state returns were free in whatever version of TurboTax I have. But I need to delete it, because I was trying out a non-resident form, and it turns out I don't need to file in that state, after all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You don't have to delete the return you're not going to file in that state; just don't file it.  The return can sit there without affecting anything.

However, you should be able to delete it by clicking on State Taxes > Edit, then use the trash can icon to delete the state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfortunately, that trash can icon doesn't work -- it brings up a dialog box to ask me if I want to start over.

Also, at least for the on-line version, there was no way to select what to efile -- all or nothing.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

See this article - Can I skip filing my state return?

For the on-line version, there was no way to change the filing method for state return(s) as opposed to federal.

And unfortunately, the return can't just "sit there without affecting anything," because it DOES affect something: the tax that the program thinks I am paying to one state (as a non-resident) gets credited against the taxes I owe in the state where I'm a resident. I tried deleting the other jurisdiction tax credit form, but TurboTax "helpfully" re-created it for me.

I can't get the forum to let me post the link to the FAQ titled "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?" Here are the relevant parts:

Note: If you've already paid your TurboTax state fees or registered your free version with your state return attached, you can't delete your state return.

If you’ve already paid your state fees, you can’t delete your return, but you can start over by selecting Start Over next to your state return on the Status of your state returns screen.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Change it to zero income for that state since you don't need to file it. Then there is no tax liability to interfere with your resident state. Select to paper mail so it isn't efiled.

Of course, I had to file already, but what I recall was that there was one screen to choose between paper and e-filing, and it applied to everything (federal plus 3 states). It did not give me the choice to paper-file just the one I didn't want to file. And there was a screen to agree to the electronic transmission for each state, but no way to disagree/decline for that state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies