Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I count the number of days I spent in a state? I was on an F-1 OPT in 2018.

The "Number of Days" link in the Turbo Tax question states that I should include "all days in California for any purpose". However, I'm unsure considering that I'm considered a non-resident as an F1 OPT visa holder
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

How do I count the number of days I spent in a state? I was on an F-1 OPT in 2018.

California doesn't conform to the Federal law on residency issues or days exempt due to an F1 visa..  You need to input the number of days you were in CA.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

California doesn't conform to the Federal law on residency issues or days exempt due to an F1 visa..  You need to input the number of days you were in CA.

Thank you for that! So am I considered a non-resident if I stayed in the US for more than 183 days on an F1 OPT visa?
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, for federal tax purposes.  If you have been in the US on an F1 visa for less than 5 years or part years you are a nonresident.  For those 5 years you do not count your days of presence for Federal tax purposes.  You should be filing a US nonresident tax return this year. TurboTax does not handle nonresident returns, only full year resident returns.  
However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.
Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

Just to summarize your advice: I am a non-resident in the fed's eyes but a resident in California's eyes. I did leave California at the end of August. Does that mean I became a state non-resident in 2018?

Also, should I file both my state and federal taxes on Sprintax?

Sorry for asking so many questions!
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I don't know whether you will be considered a California resident but you do not need to determine that.  The Sprintax software will determine that.  Yes, you need to file both federal and state return with Sprintax.  Happy to help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies