Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andy333

How do I add a Form IT-204-LL to my New York state return?

My Federal Return information carried over to all the NY state equivalent forms. However, the IT-204-LL form is missing and I don't see an option to add this form to my NY return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If you are a single-member LLC, you would file a Schedule C in your federal 1040 return.

According to the NY Department of Taxation and Finance website,  Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) and Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs):

• A single-member LLC (SMLLC) that is treated as a disregarded entity for federal income tax purposes will be treated as a disregarded entity for New York tax purposes.
    • If the SMLLC is disregarded and the single member is an individual, the SMLLC will be treated as a sole proprietorship for New York tax purposes. 

For New York, if you are a sole proprietorship, your business income and expenses go on your personal return, IT-201 (full year resident or IT-203 (part-year or nonresident).

If this is not your situation, please provide additional information so that we may address our response accordingly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

NY requires IT-204-LL to be files separately, with the fee payment.  See form instructions on form and NY website.  TTax Business Program provides for it to be e filed separately with electronic debit program, bur as of today there is a bug which prevents this.  I've  printed out a copy from the NY website, and will mail it in if the bug is not corrected before 3/15, when it's due. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

It appears this Form will be available 02-23-24 (Form IT-204-LL, Limited Liability Company/Partnership Filing Fee Payment Form).

Make sure to run all updates when you start your TurboTax program.

If you're on a PC, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. On a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

If you find you need to manually update your TurboTax Business software, here are some instructions to get started.

TurboTax Business 2023

If you're having trouble updating your TurboTax Business 2023 software using the "Check for Updates" method, you can get the latest federal program update here:

1. Close TurboTax Business and all other programs except this browser window.
  2. Select this link to download the 234 MB update.
  3. Save the update file to your Windows desktop.
  4. Double-click the update file w_bizrelsuperpatch... on your desktop to install the manual update.

You can't add IT-204-LL to your return, because the instructions say to file it separately, with the payment.   Turbotax is not yet able to file it electronically but will be soon.  They are saying 2/23, but NYS already missed two previous dates.

DaveL61

What John said.  The form is due February 29th.

Per the NYS filing instructions for IT-204-LL:

Partnerships must electronically file if they meet all three of the following conditions:

prepare tax documents themselves, without the assistance of a tax professional;

use approved e-file tax software to prepare their return or extension; and

have broadband Internet access.

For more information, see Electronic filing mandate for business taxpayers.

Will TurboTax home and business support this?  The 29th is rapidly approaching.

According to the IT-204-LL form instructions, "You must file Form IT-204-LL and pay the filing fee in full on or before the 15th day of the third month following the close of your calendar or fiscal tax year."   For calendar year filers that is March 15, 2024, not February 29th.  On 2/14 Turbo Tax stated that the form will be available for downloading and/or e-filing on 2/23.  This is the 2nd update as two previous dates were missed.  I believe that forms availability involves collaboration between turbotax and NY Dept of Taxation & Finance, so it's not possible to know who is holding it up.  

If it gets too close to the due date before e-filing is functional on TTax, I plan to mail the hand-completed copy that I downloaded from the NY DOT&F website with note explaining that.  

Adding New York Form IT-204-LL to a Partnership/LLC return has been a long, difficult and frustrating experience.   The NY instructions say that this for must be filed separately with the fee payment, by 3/15, and if the return is filed electronically, this form must also be e-filed.   On the page entitled "Form IT-204-LL Fee Payment", the 2nd sentence: "File your fee payment for the state of New York."   , the underline is actually a link to turbotax online.  But you have to figure this out for yourself, as is no explanation nor any  instructions.  The 1st time I tried the link, the somewhat cryptic message:  "This service is currently unavailable" appeared with no further explanation.   After spending close to 1/2 hour on the phone with an agent researching the topic, He/she finally discovered that it meant that the form was not yet available, and emailed me a  Forms Availability Schedule.   After the date on the schedule passed I tried again with the same result.   This time the 2nd agent, after taking just as long, gave me a new date.  After that date passed without being able to file the form, I figured out how to download the Forms Availability Schedule myself, and found a 3rd date - February 23rd, which was confirmed by the above message.  I waited until several  days later (as one of the agents advised) but still no luck.    I called again and the agent said that her schedule said  while the form was available, e-filing it would not be available until 3/5.  On the morning of 3/5 e-filing was still not functional, but this morning 3/6, it finally was - only 10 days before the due date!  However, the link now brought me to a form questionnaire where none of the information from the return was filled in except for the signers name and email.   I had to fill in  all of the fields manually - company name, address, tax ID , etc etc etc.   And after all that, I still can't get a copy of the form for my records. Only the Gross Income Allocation worksheet, needed for just one entry on form IT-204-LL, is available on Forms/Open a form, etc.  In previous years, I could at least download the form and mail it.     

Lastly, this form has been required, with separate filing and payment , for many years. The only thing new is the mandatory e-filing.   

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Form IT-204-LL, Limited Liability Company/Partnership Filing Fee Payment Form, is now available. Please update your software following these instructions.

@john-ct 

@DaveL61 

Dlabgan

For NY it was due the 29th of February. So I had to go the paper and mail route. 

I don't know where you got that date (2/29), but the NY instructions for Form IT-204-LL says:  You must file Form IT-204-LL and pay the filing fee in full on or before the 15th day of the third month following the close of your calendar or fiscal tax year.  For calendar year filers, that's 3/15 not 2/29.  Here is a link to the instructions:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/current-forms/it/it204lli.htm 

To LenaH:

The program says my software is up to date, but the form is still not listed in my return forms or in Open a Form.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Form IT-204-LL is showing as being available and users are reporting to be using it.  Did you do a search for it using the "search" bar at the top of your screen?

Please make sure you are using the latest version of the program and that you run all updates to the program when you log on.

If you are using TurboTax Online, open the program and select "Check for Updates" from the Online menu near the top.

If you are using a  Mac, leave and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

Helpful Troubleshooting Tips:

• Use a wired, high-speed connection when updating. This will be more time-efficient and minimize data corruption.
  • Try again if  your connection drops in the middle of the update. It should pick up where it left off.
  • If you're having issues updating, try a manual update.

Click here for instructions on doing a manual update.

Logging out of TurboTax and back in, changing browsers, or clearing your cache and cookies also often helps. 

Click here for instructions on clearing your cache.

Click here for instructions in deleting your cookies.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

Dear Linda, 

As I stated near the end of my (admittingly long) post, I was able to fill out and e-file the fee payment, via a questionnaire link, and received an e-mailed fee payment confirmation.   However:

1.  None of the information from my return was transferred to the questionnaire, so I had to enter everything manually (name and address of business, Tax ID #, etc.)

2.  The actual form is not available to view, download as a pdf, file, or print on paper.  (Unlike every other l Federal or State form used in a return.) 

In your post, you mentioned:

Updates:   My desktop windows program automatically checks for updates, and automatically performs updates, everytime I open it  But as per your previous post, I checked anyway:  Response: "Your program is up to date."

Search:   Entering a form name or number into the search bar brings up questions and answers relating to that form, but does not bring up the form.  

Further:

1. On the interview page titled Form IT-204-LL Fee Payment, there is a "Show Relevant Form" link at the bottom left.  But this only shows a Source Gross Income Worksheet that pertains to a single line of form IT-204-LL, but is not the actual form

2.  In Forms, left column, Forms in My Return, only the worksheet is shown, not the form .

2a. In the Open Form link at the top of that column, again, the worksheet, not the form

is listed. 

Apparently, no one has verified the above, or your post would not have read like a form letter.

I have been using TurboTax since the DOS version (pre-Windows), was a member of the TurboTax Inner Circle, and a beta tester.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies