turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

islagatt

How can I file my tax form if my w-2 says my state withholding is higher than my state wage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

How can I file my tax form if my w-2 says my state withholding is higher than my state wage?

Provide more detail about your situation, including the state(s) involved.  Basically, the answer if you have to "force" something into box 16 at the W-2 screen. 

TT is saying that I cannot e-file CA if my state withholdings are more than 50% of my State wages which is accurate.  Is there any way around this?  

Did you enter the state wages from box 16 of the W-2 ?   If you left that box blank but entered an amount in box 17 then that is what that warning is for.  It is highly unusual for the W-2 box 16 to be more than box17 as no state has an income tax in excess of 50% of the earnings.   Recheck your W-2 entries. 

Thanks.  It is accurate.  I had a situation where I moved, and my boss didn't change my work location.  Withholding kept going to CA which was OK since we moved out of state, and we were selling a house.  I knew I would be needing the funds with CA.  However, I'm now in this pickle.  Is my only choice to MAIL the forms?  I don't see why this would be a reason to not be able to efile.

If it is correct then mailing in the returns and attaching a copy of the W-2 form is your ONLY option ... this is not a TT limitation.

Thanks.  I assume I can eFile Fed and the other state.....just not CA?

If you do not itemize on the federal return then that may be efiled  ... the program will let you know. 

Unfortunately, I went back and said I'll file CA later, and tried to file FED and other state.   It then said I cannot efile those either because of the W-2.  I guess I'm printing and sending all 3.  Not fun!

Ok ... if you are NOT itemizing on the federal return ( no sch A) then go back to the W-2 input screen and delete the state info in boxes 15-20 and efile the federal return.   Once it is accepted for processing you can  come back and complete the state return by putting that info back ... this way you only have to mail the state. 

Sorry, forgot to mention before that I am itemizing, so that is not going to work for me.  Thanks for all of the info.  Off to the printer 😉

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies