Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

lubear1

Qualified business income deduction - are the QBI worksheets functional that support ln 9 of 2018 1040? TT did not link SE income to QBI ded summary and qbi worksheet

I changed the designation of the business work that necessitated a 1099-MISC to be "Contractor" which is what I actually am and not a business owner.  After doing that, I was able to file without messing with QBI.

Qualified business income deduction - are the QBI worksheets functional that support ln 9 of 2018 1040? TT did not link SE income to QBI ded summary and qbi worksheet

Anyone have an update on the QBI (for those that received a K-1)? Mine still isn't working.

As of April 2, my QBI deduction calculation IS working! BTW, I had a partnership K-1 with qualified income. I didn't have to do anything. It flowed through from the K-1 to the qualified income worksheet to my 1040. Finally!

I just updated my TT for Mac and the QBI kicked back in, after it had disappeared when I was making edits to it a month ago. I’m all good now.

My Deluxe windows version tells me our small business doesn't qualify, but I couldn't find a reason why not on any of the help screens.  I finally went to the forms, opened Simplified QBI Worksheet and QBI Deduction Summary, overrode the lines for company name, ID (SS# for sole proprietor), and net income - Voila! - all the rest filled in properly.  TT then took the numbers and printed my return successfully.
number_6

Hello All,

Please note that this answer is only valid if your K-1 came from an S Corp and you do not file a Schedule C. Through a lot of research and debugging I discovered that in this case TT will only handle the 20% QBI/199A deduction if your K-1 specifically (and correctly) reports 199A information on Line 17 with a Code V (Section 199A income) entry. If that exists then you will be presented with other interview questions on the subject and eventually your QBI/199A deduction will be calculated and propagated to 1040, Line 9. But what if your K-1 didn’t specifically list your 199A income, as mine didn’t? In that case TT just assumes that you don’t have 199A income and you won’t be asked anything about it EVEN THOUGH one of the hidden interview questions allows you to enter 199A info that was not reported on K-1. Obviously this is a bug in TT. EVERYONE should be asked this question whether there was 199A info on the K-1 or not.

Disclaimer: This method worked for me and it seems to be correct for my limited case. I’m just grasping at straws trying to work around this bug so I can get my return filed. This isn’t the “right” way to handle this problem. The “right” way would be for Intuit to fix it or the K-1 to be corrected to show the 199A information. Proceed with caution and double check that you get expected results. Also, my taxable income isn’t over $315k so I could skip other interview screens for more complicated cases. If your income is over the threshold then you probably should try entering your QBI value on Line 17 of your K-1 with Code V and see what happens on the low-level forms. This isn’t 100% correct and I wouldn’t recommend filing a return with a K-1 that isn’t 100% correct. This is how I ultimately devised this workaround and it may work for you, too. You’ve been warned!

Anyway... IF you had a Code V value on K-1, Line 17 you would see these additional 199A-specific interview screens:

Screen 1: Name and employer 10 number for the business
Since Section 199A Income is reported in 17 of this K-1, we need the name and employer ID number (also known as “EIN" or "tax ID number") for the business that generated this income.
    Business name ___________
    EIN of business _________

Note: Section 199A income from an S Corporation reported on a Schedule K-1 may be generated by the S Corporation or by a separate business owned by the S Corporation. If it comes from a separate business, enter the name and EIN of that business here.

Screen 2: Let's check for some uncommon adjustments
Certain uncommon items are typically not included in the Section 199A Income reported in Box 17 of your K-1. They should be included in a statement with your K-1, and you can enter them here so we can accurately calculate your Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction (also known as "Section 199A” deduction).

O   This business has short term gains (losses) f rom the sale of business assets that are not already included in the Section 199A Income reported in Box 17

O   This business has Section 1231 gains (losses) from qualified business assets

O   This business received qualified cooperative payments

X  This business has other qualified business expenses not reported with Section 199A Income (learn more)

Other qualified business expenses __________

O   None of these apply

-------------
If you click on “learn more” for the “Other qualified business expenses” option you get this information. The big clue is the last paragraph.

Other qualified business expenses not reported with Section 199A Income
There are a few rare expenses that may affect the Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction (also called Section 199A deduction). If you have Section 59(e)(2) expenses, unreimbursed partnership expenses, depletion expenses, or any other business expense allocable to QBI which was not included in the Section 199A Income reported on Schedule K-1, those may be entered here if you want to include them to reduce your QBI eligible for the deduction.

Note that anything entered here is subtracted from the starting QBI amount. If you believe additional income items should have been included in the reported Section 199A Income on Schedule K-1, you may include that amount here as a negative number.

--------------------------------

SO... here’s how I was able to get my QBI information entered into TT without incorrectly reporting what's on my K-1, AND have TT calculate the QBI deduction and propagate the value to 1040 Line 9.

• If you’ve already entered your K-1 I would suggest deleting it and re-entering it. A couple of times during debugging things didn’t get updated throughout the return if the K-1 changed too radically. I never had a problem if I started with a fresh K-1.
  • Enter the K-1 using the Interview. Since it doesn’t have a Code V entry on Line 17 you won’t see any interview questions regarding QBI/199A. Don't worry about it, we'll get to that later.
  • Open the K-1 Form for direct editing.
  • Go down to K-1, Page 6 - Section D: Qualified Business Income Deduction Info.
  • On Line A: Does this K-1 include a Section 199A business? Check Yes.

This should fill in Section D with 0’s

Per the instructions that you never saw since the interview never asked if the business qualifies for the deduction...

• On Line E,2,d: Other non-qualified items to subtract from business income enter the NEGATIVE amount of QBI you are claiming.

e.g. if your QBI is $10,000 then enter -10,000. on this line.

The form will get filled out for you. While I was debugging I sometimes had to double-click on Line K "QBI worksheet to report, double click to link" and enter my official company name so that all of the supporting worksheets and links would be set up and the deduction propagated to 1040 Line 9.

Good luck. Hope this helps others get around this bug. Seems there's always a new problem in TT every year that causes me to loose a couple of days and a lot of brain cells.

~ Number 6

To get the QBI deduction you need to show that you are eligible on your K-1 by checking box 20 and entering the qualifying income using code Z.

John-Kristin
Returning Member

Here are the steps that worked for me:

I created a QBI component worksheet with business title and header info, but did not populate with data.

Then at bottom of schedule c (using forms method) there was a section called qbi deduction info. Item k is what qbi component worksheet to you want to link. There are some questions in between in re SSTB (my business is not). The worksheet then filled in and created some other worksheets.

Some surprises along the way: Allowable QBI is reduced by SE insurance medical and 1/2 SE tax - because both of these were adjustments to income on sch 1.

I just completed my tax return for tax year 2019 and I also cannot file my return.  Is this a TT update issue or is the IRS still making revisions to the Qualified Business Income Deduction?  Was this issue resolved for the 2018 tax returns?  If so, what was the reason for holding up filing tax returns?

CSmith3

Thank you so much for posting this, I have been going in circles.  

I just had this problem and was able to get the error to go away by going back to my K-1 S Corp income entry and following all the prompts until the end without skipping around to different parts of the program.  

abdb1019

Where do I enter the QBI deduction for REITs? 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You just need to follow the step-by-step interview process to enter your K-1 from the REIT.  After you have entered the details from the K-1 it will ask about your Section 199A income and provides a screen with the line items that are listed on the Statement A - QBI Pass-through Entity.  You need to check the boxes for the line items that are populated on your statement and enter the amounts.

@abdb1019

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
llepore52
Returning Member

How do I UNLINK the QBI worksheet from my schedule C as my business is NOT a qualified business?

llepore52
Returning Member

I figured it out...no answer needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies