turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tramos501

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible if I can Itemize some things. Would it be possible to itemize my transportation costs that I did for 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible if I can Itemize some things. Would it be possible to itemize my transportation costs that I did for 2019?

It depends on what the costs were for.  You can deduct transportation and/or mileage costs for medical, charity, rental income or self-employment related expenses.  You can only deduct those costs if they relate to your W-2 job in very limited situations.   However, they may be deductible on your state return if they are not deductible on your federal return, so you can still enter them.  TurboTax will figure out if you can deduct them or not.   The easiest way to get to the correct place to enter them is to type mileage into the search bar, press enter, wait a few seconds, then follow the instructions in the search results.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on what the costs were for.  You can deduct transportation and/or mileage costs for medical, charity, rental income or self-employment related expenses.  You can only deduct those costs if they relate to your W-2 job in very limited situations.   However, they may be deductible on your state return if they are not deductible on your federal return, so you can still enter them.  TurboTax will figure out if you can deduct them or not.   The easiest way to get to the correct place to enter them is to type mileage into the search bar, press enter, wait a few seconds, then follow the instructions in the search results.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies