I received a W-2G for winning a 50/50 raffle in DC but live in MD. They withheld Federal Taxes but nothing for either state. When I ran it through TurboTax it had me purchase DC state software and then only gave me a form to request a refund when I went through the steps as a non-resident. How do I fill out the DC forms as a non resident to account for those winnings? Or do I even need to? Is it just taken care of through my MD returns?
No. Based on the instructions for the District of Columbia the following are required to file an income tax return:
Do I have to file a DC income tax return?
You must file a DC tax return if:
- You were a resident of the District of Columbia and you were required to file a federal tax return. (A resident is an individual domiciled in DC at any time during the taxable year);
- You maintained a place of abode in DC for a total of 183 days or more even if your permanent home was outside of DC;
- You were a part-year resident of DC (see instructions for part-year residents);
- You were a member of the United States (U.S.) armed forces and your home of record was the District of Columbia for either part of or the full taxable year;
- You are the spouse of an exempt military person or of any other exempt person such as a nonresident presidential appointee or an elected official;
- If you want to receive a refund of DC taxes withheld during the year
Include the raffle winnings on your MD tax return and do not file a DC return.