Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form WH-4: Entitled to one exemption

I am just starting to work in Indiana and need to fill WH-4. 

The first question is 

1. You are entitled to one exemption. If you wish to claim the exemption, enter “1”

If I don't claim one exemption this year do I lose the exemption or can I claim that next year. I am asking because I am only going to earn 2 months of salary in 2019 in Indiana until the end of the year. 

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The exemptions on your WH-4 only determine what an employer withholds from your paycheck.  Not claiming yourself means that the will withhold less money.  If you are going to be working there only few months, it won't make much difference if you claim 0 or 1.  (Personally, I would go ahead and claim 1 like you always have.  It might result in a higher refund at the end of the year.)

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. If I don't claim one exemption this year do I lose the exemption or can I claim that next year.

A.The number you claimed on your WH-4 (and federal W-4) is just an estimate. You don't enter it anywhere on your actual tax return. It does not lock you in on what you can claim, at tax filing time. The IRS  and the state do not try to match that number with the actual tax forms

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies