Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kirren1

Exempt interest-dividends for muni bonds. TT asks for which state. I don't know & I don't think my advisor knows. Do I just select "More than one State" 4 each muni bond?

I had four municipal bonds in 2016. I don't know which state they're from. Would I just have 4 lines of "More than one State"?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Exempt interest-dividends for muni bonds. TT asks for which state. I don't know & I don't think my advisor knows. Do I just select "More than one State" 4 each muni bond?

Unless you have a single state mutual bond fund, then you enter "more than one state"  for each

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Unless you have a single state mutual bond fund, then you enter "more than one state"  for each
kirren1

Thanks! I'm assuming this is the same for municipal bonds as well, correct?

It is true for municipal bond funds.  But for individual municipal bonds, you must enter the state that issued the bond. Individual bonds come from a particular state and you must note which state. Furthermore, if your investment advisor does not know, then you might seriously consider finding another investment advisor. Any investment advisor should absolutely know that.
kirren1

Ok, thanks very much for your help!
kirren1

Follow-up question: I have "municipal bond funds". My investment advisor sent me the percentage portion of income attributable to MD (where I live) for each fund. For example, for one fund, the percentage portion of income attributable to MD is 1.09%. In reading the instructions in TT, it looks like, then, if I had an income of $100 from a fund, I would enter "Maryland" and "$1.09" on one line, and "More Than One State" and "$98.91" on a second line. Since I have 4 funds, I would end up with 8 lines. Do you know if this is correct? Or is it easier to just say "More Than One State" for each fund and leave it at that?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies