Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I apply for the noncustodial parent new york earned income credit

I already filed and recieved part of my refund. I recieved a mail saying that I can be eligible for NCP EIC. How do I amend?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

How do I apply for the noncustodial parent new york earned income credit

First, save your original tax return as a PDF (see the applicable FAQ below for instructions). Then, follow the instructions in the FAQ below for amending your 2016 tax return in TurboTax Online. When you are preparing the amendment, follow these steps to access the New York Noncustodial Parent Earned Income Credit:

• Click the State Taxes tab. You'll see Let's get your state taxes done right. Click Continue.
  • Add New York state if you haven't already, then click Continue (under the Action heading).
  • TurboTax displays Your 2016 New York Return. Click Continue.
  • Continue through the New York state tax interview. You'll need to answer questions about your residency, school district, etc. 
  • When you see Changes to Federal Income, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Done with Changes.
  • Next you'll see Take a look at New York credits and taxes. Under You and Your Family, locate Earned Income Credit and click Start. (Click the 1st screenshot below to enlarge it for reference.)
  • Were you a noncustodial parent in 2016? Click Yes.
  • Are You Eligible for the Noncustodial EIC? Check the boxes that apply to you. (Click the 2nd screenshot below for reference.) When finished click Continue.
  • TurboTax will determine if you qualify for this credit or not. If you do qualify, you'll be prompted to enter information about the child(ren) you supported, and TurboTax will calculate the amount of the credit once you enter this information. 
How do I amend my 2016 TurboTax Online return?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856
How do I save my 2016 TurboTax Online return as a PDF? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3333012
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies