Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Status-NYS Return

I am filing an amended Federal return, changing the filing status from joint to MFS. Must I also file an amended NYS return, changing the filing status to agree with the amended Federal filing status? That would be the only change to my originally filed NYS return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Filing Status-NYS Return

Yes you do. 

There is no provision under New York tax rules to file Married Filing Jointly when the Federal filing status is Married Filing Separately. 

Changing the filing status on your New York return would required other changes as well.

New York State Filing Status

Filing Status-NYS Return

In a previous response, you indicated that while I'm amending my Federal filing status from joint to MFS I do not have to amend my originally-filed NYS status of joint if my Federal changes do not affect my NYS return. Not amend my NYS return would leave it a joint while my amended Federal return would be MFS. What is the correct answer? Thank you.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Filing Status-NYS Return

The filing status of your New York return must match the filing status of your federal return, unless one of the exceptions listed on New York's Filing status page applies.

I believe that what JeffreyR77 was saying is that changing the filing status on your New York return will result in changes to the return -- standard deduction, income, tax rates and tax, to name a few.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies