gailbm1951

Filing California State Tax - No refund, so why do I have to pay $25.00 to e-file?

Usually when I e-file my state taxes with Turbo Tax, I receive a refund and have to pay for Direct Deposit.  I'm not getting a refund and I don't owe anything.  Turbo tax shows I have to pay $25.00?  I can't change it!  

Can anyone help?

mesquitebean

In the desktop software (CD/download), there is a $25 state efiling fee except for New York state.   There is no fee if you want to print and mail the return instead.

NOTE:   You said you don't have a refund, so I mention this for anyone else who sees the thread.   It's best to pay the fee by credit/debit card.  If you choose to pay it out of the Federal refund, there is an additional $40 service fee ($45 for California filers.)

gailbm1951

Thank you!

mesquitebean

@gailbm1951 wrote:

Thank you!

You're welcome.  BTW, there is never a fee for direct deposit.   Direct deposit is a free service provided by the IRS.   If you had a fee in the past, it was for something else--likely the state efile fee plus or minus the service fee if you chose to pay the $25 out of your Federal refund.

You can avoid the state e-file fee if you choose to print and mail the state return instead of e-filing it.