turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employed in Delaware.Moved from PA to DE on 7/29. Do I need to file a part-year resident for DE and PA, along with a non-resident return for DE income while living in PA?

Employed in Delaware. Moved from PA to DE on 7/29. Do I need to file a part-year resident income return for DE and PA, along with a non-resident return for DE income while living in PA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Employed in Delaware.Moved from PA to DE on 7/29. Do I need to file a part-year resident for DE and PA, along with a non-resident return for DE income while living in PA?

You definitely must file a return for PA, showing yourself as a part-year resident.

Delaware allows part-year residents the option to file either as a full-year resident or as a non-resident.  According to the Delaware tax instructions, if your only income during your period of non-residency was from DE, it may be advantageous for you to file as a full-year DE resident.  If that's what you decide to do, in TurboTax you would enter your state of residence as DE, and you would enter PA under Other State Income.  

See page 2 of this reference:  http://revenue.delaware.gov/services/current_pit/TY16_booklet_res.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

You definitely must file a return for PA, showing yourself as a part-year resident.

Delaware allows part-year residents the option to file either as a full-year resident or as a non-resident.  According to the Delaware tax instructions, if your only income during your period of non-residency was from DE, it may be advantageous for you to file as a full-year DE resident.  If that's what you decide to do, in TurboTax you would enter your state of residence as DE, and you would enter PA under Other State Income.  

See page 2 of this reference:  http://revenue.delaware.gov/services/current_pit/TY16_booklet_res.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I know this is an old post, but I"ll try anyhow.

My situation for tax year 2023 is the opposite of this in terms of locations.

• One job full-time all year in DE
  • Lived Jan - April in DE
  • Moved permanently to PA in May

How would you file your state returns in this situation? 

Thanks so much!

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

When you are in the Personal Info section, be sure to say you lived in one state and worked in another as well as lived in 2 states. Then, you would first file a DE nonresident return, and then file a PA Part Year Resident Return.

DE considers you a resident if you spend more than 183 days living in the state during the tax year.  Since you did not live in the state for 183 days, you could file a non resident return for the time you did live in the state and the time you did not.  All of your income will be first taxable to DE since it is earned there.  

Then you will file your PA Part Year resident return and include the income for the time you lived in PA.  But, you will also take a credit for the taxes paid to DE. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Super clear answer @Vanessa A . I really appreciate it, and your very quick support!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies