Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I pay taxes on 6 months of Georgia employer Severance pay if I moved out of state and established residency in Tennessee after receiving it?

Received 6 months severance package from employer I worked for in Georgia while residing there. After 1 month, I moved to Tennessee and established residency immediately. I am wondering if months 2-6 of severance pay are taxable to GA? 

Married filing jointly, spouse has no income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Do I pay taxes on 6 months of Georgia employer Severance pay if I moved out of state and established residency in Tennessee after receiving it?

From the following website from Georgia Department of Revenue:

https://dor.georgia.gov/filing-residents-nonresidents-and-part-year-residents-faq#field_related_link...

Severance pay received by a nonresident is not taxable for Georgia purposes. Nontaxable severance pay is defined as pay that is received for which no services are rendered in Georgia. Any portion of the income included in the W-2 that is received for past or future services rendered in Georgia, including accrued vacation, sick pay, and holidays, will still be taxable for Georgia purposes as is outlined in the next question. For example, a taxpayer is terminated by a Georgia employer but the employer agrees to pay them $500.00 per week severance pay for two weeks. No services are required to be rendered to receive this pay. The first week the taxpayer receives a check for $1100.00, which includes $500.00 of severance pay and $600.00 of accrued vacation pay. The $600.00 accrued vacation pay is taxable for Georgia purposes but the $500.00 severance pay is not taxable. The next week the taxpayer receives a check for $500.00 for severance pay. This is not taxable for Georgia purposes.

If a nonresident works in Georgia, he/she is taxed on all income that is received from an employer, including vacation, holiday, and sick pay, based on regulation 560-7-8-.01(b)(1), unless he/she falls under the 5% exception of Georgia code section 48-7-1(11)(A). Georgia regulation 560-7-8-.01(b)(1) is clear that for a nonresident the actual number of days worked in Georgia divided by the total days worked everywhere is the ratio that should be applied to determine Georgia source income. If the nonresident only works in Georgia, the ratio would be 100% and all income that is included in the W-2 that is received for past or future services rendered in Georgia, including vacation, holiday, and sick pay, would be taxable for Georgia purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies