desiroe

Do I need to pay Mississippi sales tax on on-line purchases that did not withhold sales tax?

DO I need to  report my  on line and out of state purchases on my MS tax return that sales tax was not withheld from the seller.? Do I have to pay sales tax on these purchases when MS State did not pass a bill stating that sales tax must be withheld for out of state purchases by the seller (site)?

LindaA

Yes, Mississippi does impose a use tax for online and out-of-state purchases. According to the Mississippi DOR website, "If the retailer is located out-of-state and does not have a physical location or other type of physical presence in the state, the state cannot require the retailer to collect Mississippi's tax." 

For more information, please see MS Use Tax FAQs.

LindaA